Wednesday 15 July 2009

A Theory on Fat

I've just been struck by a thought I've never had before. And it's this – literally everything you do should be to the glory of God; and literally everything he created was for his glory.

Lately I've been praying for God to make me less vain. It's this dumb little idol I have, and one I really struggle to shift. Basically, I just want to be a bit skinner and a bit more athletic than my current frame. Nothing wrong with that, I just hate the way it dominates my thinking sometimes. I blame TV. So here's a theory. What's my heart attitude? I'm blatantly on some self-glorifying mission to look good.

But if everything should be done for God's glory, then every area of your life is included: films you watch, sports you play, language you use, your finances, how you work your job, whether or not you have a string of ex-girlfriends etc etc. And if everything has been created for God's glory then, when we see athletic ability, an amazing talent or beauty (in whatever form), it should lead us to worship God.

I find that incredibly liberating. Ultimately, you can be doing the exact same thing: going to the gym and watching your diet. But realising that it's God's body (not yours) and seeking to honour him by being a good steward of it totally takes the focus off yourself.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do,
do it all for the glory of God."
1 Corinthians 10:31

I don't know why that never occurred to me before.

No comments:

Post a Comment