Monday 20 July 2009

Little and Often

The pastor of my church, Graham Marsh, preached yesterday on working in '15 minutes of inconvenience' into everyday. Little tiny acts of kindness, such as buying a Big Issue, or helping someone out in a way people wouldn't normally think to do. Just random little things that take a little bit of time, effort and inconvenience.

I honestly think that God dropped that into my mind about 8 years ago, but stupidly I just thought about it and never actually did it. I thought of carrying £2 coins in my bag to give to homeless people when they asked for change. I know that people think they'll just waist it on alcohol, but even if they do, at least you've expressed a tiny fraction of God's heart and grace towards them.

It's a brilliant idea when you think about it. Small acts of kindness on a day-to-day basis over the course of your life adds up to a lot of works.

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me... I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matthew 25:35-40

No comments:

Post a Comment