Sunday 13 September 2009

Incredibly hard workers

One thing that's really come to mind from reading a number of biographies is that the people worth writing books about are always incredibly hard workers and very passionate people. None of them were slack. None of them were half-hearted. None of them started well, only to lose their way later on. They didn't backslide. They all persevered right the way through their lives to the very end.

A very interesting note I think. Although it's all about grace, to actually produce a life of meaning and substance requires hard work, diligence and real grasp of holiness. And these need to be sustained through all the years we live on earth.

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
Galatians 6:9

"Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord."
Romans 12:11

"Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."
1 Corinthians 15:58

1 comment:

  1. I agree Sam, it is a challenge isn't it. I mean their capacity to work hard was a gift of grace but my danger is that i can sometimes use their example as a stick to beat myself (and others?!!) with.

    It's hard isnt it? I think that we must allow grace to motivate us as it did them. I know that the times when i aspire to become like a missionary of old are the times when i also feel the most fruitless because i judge myself by an impossible (and mythical?) standard. I can be in danger sometimes of turning these guys into saints and I put them in a category all on their own. Instead i see that when i simply refresh my heart and mind in the gospel of grace i am propelled to work harder, enjoy praying and live with a greater level of fulfilment and satisfaction.

    I enjoy the provocation they bring though, don't you? If their danger was over-working and striving then ours is relaxing and chilling out too much, presuming on grace. I dont think that on the whole our danger is producing legalistic over-working Christians, we're in danger of settling and getting cosy in our comfy chairs and big warehouse churches I think - i know i am!

    ReplyDelete