Monday 28 September 2009

Antony Flew on DNA

The following is a long quote from Antony Flew's book title "There is a God: how the world's most notorious atheist changed his mind".

    The last of my public debates, a symposium at New York University, occurred in May 2004 ... To the surprise of all concerned, I announced at the start that I now accepted the existence of a God ... In the video of the symposium, the announcer suggested that of all the great discoveries of modern science, the greatest was God.

    In this symposium, when asked if recent work on the origin of life pointed to the activity of a creative Intelligence, I said:

      Yes, I now think it does ... almost entirely because of the DNA investigations. What I think the DNA material has done is that it has shown, by the almost unbelievable complexity of the arrangements which are needed to produce life, that intelligence must have been involved in getting these extraordinary diverse elements to work together. It's the enormous complexity of the number of elements and the enormous subtlety of the ways they work together. The meeting of these two parts at the right time by chance is simply minute. It is all a matter of the enormous complexity by which the results we achieved, which looked to me like the work of intelligence."
'There Is A God' by Antony Flew, p74-5

No comments:

Post a Comment