Sunday 25 April 2010

Personality hang-ups

We all have hang-ups about our personality traits – "I'm too shy, too quiet, not particularly articulate". I love this paragraph from Joel Virgo's CCK Preaching Course about finding your voice as a preacher, recognising that God has made you a certain way for a reason:

"We probably don't like our voice much. Now this is not because we have a poor self-image or a hurting inner-child – it is because our pride is so scandalously blatant that we dare say to God why did you make me like this? I would have done a better job. I would have made me to be just like _________ [your favourite preacher's name here]. I cannot trust you God. I will not be me...' So don't get all self-help paperback on me... It's plain old-fashioned sin to want to be someone else all the time. Put it to death."

Awesome! I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment