Sunday 11 April 2010

The disadvantage of wealth

"Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
Matthew 19:23-24

"Wealth is heavily concentrated in North America, Europe, and high income Asia-Pacific countries. People in these countries collectively hold almost 90% of total world wealth."
The World Distribution of Household Wealth

It seems that simply living in one of these rich countries automatically puts you at a massive disadvantage as far as the gospel is concerned. We are the rich people Jesus is talking about. We have insurance for everything and spend most of our lives accumulating various possessions, all of which comfort us in one way or another. It totally suffocates our need for God.

The New Testament is really big on considering the poor. I wonder if this is because on one hand, these people are in need, more open to the gospel, and a real opportunity is afforded to demonstrate the love of Jesus in action. And on the other, generosity strips us of all the things we trust in place of God, who wants to train us in His faithfulness.

I read a very interesting article from The New York Times website titled 'The Sandra Bullock Trade' (click here to read). One of the observations made from research is that once our basic material needs are met, very little additional happiness is gained by an increase in income. Food, water, shelter and a hospital when you get sick. That's what you need. Everything else pursued above this level is noise, and will never satisfy.

"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that."
1 Timothy 6:6-8

Here's a selection of verses from the New Testament relating to the poor:

"Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Luke 12:33-34

"The man with two tunics should share with him who has none, and the one who has food should do the same."
Luke 3:11

"Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."
Matthew 5:42

"But woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort."
Luke 6:24

"But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him?"
1 John 3:17

––––––

"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?' And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' Then they also will answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?' Then he will answer them, saying, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Matthew 25:31-46

No comments:

Post a Comment