Saturday 7 April 2012

Expenditure

Another thought-provoking quote on finances and materialism...

"Occasionally when a couple cannot make ends meet the problem is that they do not have enough income to support themselves. Most often the problem lies with their expenditure. Rob Parsons writes about his own upbringing:

    My father was a postman and my mother a cleaner. We lived in a rented house, and life was simple to say the least. Non-essentials like heating in the bedrooms, fitted carpets, and toilet paper (don't ask!) belong to another world. I didn't eat in a restaurant until I was sixteen. But I had everything I needed in that home, including wise advice from a father who would take me aside regularly and recite to me the words of Mr Micawber from Dickens, David Copperfield: 'Annual Income: twenty shillings; expenditure: nineteen shillings and sixpence - result: happiness. Annual income: twenty shillings; expenditure: twenty shillings and sixpence - result: misery.' A belief in that principle meant that my father was never in debt. You may think that he paid an unacceptable price for that. He never had a holiday away from his own home, or had his own bank account, and he never did get to taste pasta - but I have never known a man so content."

p358, Nicky & Sila Lee, The Marriage Book.
Original quote: p190, Rob Parsons, Loving Against the Odds.

No comments:

Post a Comment