Thursday 24 February 2011

D.L. Moody & Early Public Speaking

Some encouraging words from the biography of D.L. Moody. We may very well be weak, imperfect, under-experienced and aware of all our shortcomings. But to be used by God in all of it... awesome!

"While still retaining a reluctance to engage in public speaking, he, nevertheless, did engage in it, and his efforts were owned of God. He made mistakes; stumbled through his periods and perpetrated innumerable grammatical blunders. Yet he grew to ignore these shortcomings, almost as though they were non-existent. His chief, his only concern was to deliver a message of cheer, hope and salvation. None was more conscious of the imperfect character of his public utterances than he himself. But this consciousness did not deter him, and great spiritual blessing accrued."
D.L. Moody - Soul Winner, Cheshire Mann, p33

"It is an open question [he said in later years], whether, at any time during my public ministry, was the thing I tried to do more signally owned of God, than in the days when I faltered and blundered in my efforts to reach the lost. This I can say, without any sense of misgiving. God knew my heart. He realized how I yearned to bring men to His feet. And He supplied in rich abundance all, and everything I lacked. It was His work and He richly fulfilled His promise. His work not returned unto Him void."
D.L. Moody - Soul Winner, Cheshire Mann, p33-4

No comments:

Post a Comment