Saturday 3 October 2009

Dissecting Verses

Hannah, a girl in my life group, reminded us of the importance of memorising scripture last week. And it's a really good point. I'm horrendously bad at memorising verses. In the past I've tried for up to three weeks to memorise a single one-line verse, repeating it over and over every day. But it never sticks. I can vaguely remember what the verse is about and roughly where it is in the bible, but that's about it. I don't have the most effective memory.

However, even though I don't have the best memory, it does work through a certain process that I think is very beneficial. The act of churning the verse over and over works it into your soul. And the meaning really starts to mature as you look at it from different angles. You automatically start to dissect it in your head. It's definitely a quality not quantity approach to reading the bible. And definitely something I want to do more of.

No comments:

Post a Comment